Sirloin Stir Fry
The Cooking time for this recipe is very short, so prepare all the ingredients before starting to cook.
- 340 g sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 5mm strips
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 150g baby sweetcorn
- 100g mangetout
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 1cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 225ml stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3 sections of medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
Place the steak in a bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, coriander, cumin and soy sauce. Stir to coat the steak.
Blanch the baby corn in boiling water then add the mangetout and cook for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh in cold water. Place on kitchen paper to dry.
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the sliced garlic and ginger, cook for 30 seconds to flavour the oil, then discard.
Fry the red pepper for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms. Remove and set aside.
Boil a pan of water for the noodles.
Fry the steak in batches over a high heat to brown. Remove and keep warm.
For the sauce, heat the oil in the wok or frying pan, add the crushed garlic and grated ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the beef stock, soy sauce and chilli sauce to the pan. Scrape the bottom to remove the browned bits. Mix the cornflour with 2 tablespoons cold water and pour into the stock. Boil to thicken.
Return the meat and vegetables to the sauce and heat through.
In the meantime, cook the noodles in the boiling water until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the noodles and toss with the sesame oil.
Place the noodles in a serving dish and top with the stir-fry. Sprinkle over the coriander and spring onions and serve.